The focus of this workshop is to learn how to gather information through sketches, color notes and on location paintings to use as sources for a better studio painting.
The workshop is open to all skill levels, however, the plein air “experience” is not recommended for beginning or novice painters. Participants should be knowledgeable in their medium, have been on 2 or 3 previous plein air “outings” and comfortable with setting up and using their equipment.
Workshop offers a daily lecture & demo accompanied with written material, plenty of opportunity for note-taking, questions, and individual attention in the field as well as classroom. Everyone will complete 1 or 2 value and composition sketches plus at least 1 painting each day.
All media welcome - demonstrations will be in watercolor, but painters may work in any medium. The workshop isn't about mixing and applying paint - it is assumed that everyone already knows how to do that. The 2-day workshop will combine plein air with classroom work.
- Friday will be on location sketching, painting....gathering information.
- Saturday will be in the classroom creating a "studio" painting using our plein air sketches and paintings as reference.
Supplies - On Location:
Plein air easel and other supplies needed for painting on location.
- Watercolorists: several pieces of 300# watercolor paper, cut to 8x10 or 9x12
- Oil or Acrylic: Canvas panels - 8x10 or 9x12 OR TRY A NEW PRODUCT: ARCHES OIL PAPER!
- A spiral sketchbook no larger than an 8x10. Pencil & eraser. Viewfinder.
- Digital camera (iPad or iPhone)
Supplies – For classroom,
- In the classroom, students will use their plein air easels.
- We will produce a painting no smaller than 11x14 - no larger than 12x16.
- *Students working in watercolor, should bring a watercolor block 12x16 or 1 sheet 300# paper (we will cut to size in class).
- *Students working in oil, acrylic, please bring a canvas panel OR new product, Arches Oil Paper - 1 sheet 22x30 (we will cut to size in class).
- *Pastel, colored pencil artists bring the paper and support you normally work on when doing studio paintings.
Any questions about supplies or equipment, please feel free to email me - email@example.com
Click this link: REGISTRATION FORM - Download, Print & Mail